July 1 2012
July 2012 CoSIDA Board of Directors Monthly E-Newsletter
July 2012 Issue
Read the emailed e-newsletter
Thank you for taking the time to read this month’s e-newsletter. Please link to the subheaders below which will take you to the different sections of the July 2012 e-newsletter where you can read more on each subject.
2012 CoSIDA Convention
CoSIDA Membership for 2012-13 & Directory Information
Cryder-Reinbold Strategic Branding Review
Continuing Education Sessions
National Organization Initiatives
Committee Based and Capital One Academic All-America® program info
Marketing & Communications
Master Monthly Schedule
CoSIDA St. Louis Convention
• Numerous CoSIDA members blogged during the Convention, held June 23-26 in St. Louis, and other presenters and panelists submitted their handouts and presentations to be archived on CoSIDA.com. Access this information HERE.
• There was a tremendous amount of activity on the CoSIDA Convention Twitter hashtag #cosida12 before, during and after the workshop, with many Convention registrants posting and other CoSIDA members - not in attendance - able to follow the sessions, panels and social events via the Twitter feed.
• The Capital One Special Awards Gala which took place the evening of June 25th was live streamed and viewed by nearly 500 online. The event highlighted the St. Louis Convention, with CoSIDA award recipients joining the 2012 Capital One Academic All-America® Hall of Fame class in being honored. ESPN's Rece Davis served as emcee and he was joined onstage by Hall of Fame broadcaster Dick Enberg, a long-time supporter of the Academic All-America® program. The Capital One Special Awards Gala will be archived on CoSIDA.com in early July.
• During the session "CoSIDA Today and Beyond", numerous initiatives for our organization were discussed. Among those discussed was the 2013 CoSIDA Convention, as the Convention - to be planned and run entirely by the CoSIDA executive staff and its members - moves to Orlando to be part of the NACDA & Affiliates Convention format. See the CoSIDA/NACDA partnership FAQ.
CoSIDA 2012-13 Membership and Directory Info
• PAY ANNUAL DUES FOR 2012-13
The new membership period for 2012-13 began on February 1; those dues will cover the period from purchase through September 15 of 2013.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU REGISTERED FOR THE 2012 COSIDA ST. LOUIS CONVENTION, that DOES NOT cover your dues payment – that is a separate payment/transaction. Link to the CoSIDA membership/dues page HERE. Deadline for payment is FRIDAY, SEPT. 14.
(A $30.00 late fee will be accessed if dues are paid after Sept. 14; there are exceptions to this, found at the link above. Any first-time CoSIDA member and any professional who is in transition or changing jobs after Sept. 14 will pay only the regular membership fees.) Dues are $115.00 (active members), $125 (associate members) and $35 (students/interns).
Please remember: you must be a current CoSIDA member to nominate for - and vote on - Capital One Academic All-America® All-District Team honors. If you have any questions in this regard, please contact Will Roleson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• CoSIDA E-Directory information
• Those who have moved into a new position or who have had staff changes recently are reminded to update their personal and/or organizational CoSIDA E-Directory information. There is an online directory and a PDF version of the directory. You can access your information and update it and/or request custodial status of your organization's account so you can update staff and organizational information, pay dues online, etc., by going HERE.
If you find inaccurate information for your school/organization we ask you to please go to CoSIDA.com and do the following:
- select the Membership link; at the pull-down menu at the top of CoSIDA’s site, select "Update Your Directory Information"
- Everyone can update their personal information here; to update your school/organization information, you MUST be the custodian of your account.
- If you wish to have custodial status, you can request that information on the page noted above. If you require assistance, use this link: http://cosida.com/contact.aspx.
Questions? Please contact Will Roleson, CoSIDA Director of Internal Operations, at email@example.com.
Strategic Branding Review Underway
CoSIDA’s Board of Directors recently voted to enter into a partnership agreement with Cryder-Rinebold of Indianapolis to conduct a branding-based review of CoSIDA during the course of the next 12-15 months. The letter on this topic to the membership, from CoSIDA’s 2011-12 President Tom DiCamillo, can be accessed HERE.
Over the course of June, Dennis Cryder and JoJo Rinebold began the focus meetings by interviewing several organizations. Additionally, they met with members of the ECAC-SIDA Board in Pittsburgh on June 5th and then attended the CoSIDA Convention in St. Louis where they held sessions with the CoSIDA Board as well as nine CoSIDA divisional /advocacy boards. Eric McDowell, John Humenik and Barb Kowal will meet with Cryder Rinebold in Indianapolis on July 11-12 to plan the next few months of this review process.
Continuing Education Sessions
During the course of the next month on CoSIDA.com and via email, we will provide updates on the convention and will be announcing, as part of our late summer/fall continuing education initiatives, a list of which sessions from the St. Louis convention were taped by NewTek, our official continuing education video production provider. We will make these videos available for membership viewing during September- December as part of continuing education inititiatives. If you have any questions, contact 2nd VP Eric McDowell (Union, N.Y.), who coordinated continuing ed through the St. Louis Convention, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New CoSIDA 3rd VP Judy Willson (Mountain West Conference) will coordinate our continuing education programs from August- May 2013. Send ideas to email@example.com.
June's two on-demand sessions are below, with links to the streamed audio, transcripts and CoverItLive blog for each session. The internet audio stream/phone lines are courtesy of TRZ Sports/ Teamline - CoSIDA’s official conference call provider. Transcripts are provided by ASAP Sports, CoSIDA's official instant transcript provider.
· Discussion with Jim Carr, President and CEO of the NAIA (June 7)
Discussion and Q&A session with Carr focusing on pertinent topics for NAIA sports communicators.
· Making the most of your summertime hours (June 14)
Presenters: Dave Walters (Guilford College Assistant AD/SID and CoSIDA Board member) and Aaron Sagraves, Davenport University SID
This session was presented by the College Division Management Advisory Committee (CDMAC). Walters and Sagraves provided advice and tips - and took listeners' questions - on preparing for the upcoming season, catching up on the past year and taking care of yourself personally - by best utilizing your quieter summer office days.
• Jim Carr, NAIA President/CEO
, held a conference call with the NAIA-SIDA membership on June 7th as referenced above in the continuing education section.
The NAIA-SIDA Board
had a conference call on June 6 with President Jay Stancil (Union College- KY)
coordinating the call.
The annual NAIA-SIDA Convention program took place June 22 at Harris-Stowe State University. The group also congregated for meetings on June 23 on the first day of the CoSIDA Convention at the Renaissance Grand Hotel in St. Louis. Nearly 70 NAIA sports communications professionals attended the event, while others engaged the group via the NAIA-SIDA Facebook page
and using the Twitter hashtag #NAIASIDA
. The entire session on day one was video-streamed live.
Topics included ‘Making the website work for you,’ ‘Veteran SID shortcuts,’ and ‘Creatively getting help for your department', and there was a media training session on June 23. See the Convention in review summary HERE.
• CoSIDA Executive Director John Humenik, Director of External Affairs Barb Kowal and 2nd VP Eric McDowell (Union- N.Y.)
will visit the NCAA offices in Indianapolis from July 11-13 and will meet with representatives from the following divisions: Division II (Mike Racy and Terri Steeb), Division III (Dan Dutcher and Louis McCleary), Championships/Alliances (Mark Bedics), Statistics (Jim Wright), Communications (Erik Christianson), Social Media Strategies (Dana Thomas) and NCAA News/Champions magazine (Gary Brown).
• CoSIDA’s NCAA Championships/Alliances Advisory Board
met during the St. Louis Convention. Topics discussed included generating story ideas for NCAA.com and the NCAA Championship programs, including digital-vs.-printed and opportunities for SIDs to proof copy.
The NCAA has tentative plans to start a monthly Championships/Alliances newsletter for SIDs with such information as webcasts, selection shows, deadlines, etc. CoSIDA members of the Advisory Board are: Ann King (The Sage Colleges), Chad Jackson (Armstrong Atlantic), Dennis Jezek (Barry), Jim McGrath (Butler), Kennan Timm (UW-Oshkosh), Mark Adkins (Manchester College), Mary Howard (Florida), Todd Lamb (Southland Conference), Tom McGuire (Bloomsburg) and Will Roleson (CoSIDA staff liaison)
. Mark Bedics is the NCAA's liaison
, with other NCAA staff involved.
Executive Director John Humenik represented CoSIDA on June 27-28 at the NACDA Convention in Dallas. During the Convention, he met with Kevin Anderson (University of Maryland AD), thge incoming President of NACDA; NACDA Executive Director Bob Vecchione, Assistant Executive Director Julie Work and staff member Denise Manak; Jamie DiLoreto (Boston College), President of NACMA); and Mel Pulliam of AFCA staff.
A “transition team” is in place to deal with various management and organizational matters associated with CoSIDA Convention becoming part of the NACDA convention in June 2013 in Orlando. The group met during the St. Louis Convention (on June 23) to discuss various components of the partnership and the 2013 convention. The organizational team includes Joe Hornstein (Florida International- CoSIDA 1st VP), Shelley Poe (Auburn- CoSIDA 2nd VP), Eric McDowell (Union College- N.Y., CoSIDA 3rd VP), Nick Joos (Baylor- CoSIDA Past President), Julie Work (NACDA Associate Director), Kevin Keys (Liberty), Anne Abicht (St. Cloud State), Ann King (The Sage Colleges)
and CoSIDA staff members Barb Kowal, Will Roleson
and John Humenik
. Representing NACDA on the team are Senior Associate Executive Director Pat Manak
and Assistant Executive Director Julie Work
That group continues to update and refine a CoSIDA/NACDA Convention “Frequently Asked Questions” document to address numerous questions associated with the 2013 convention. We strongly urge all members to review the FAQ HERE
CoSIDA’s leadership continues to have the opportunity to discuss our organization and profession via a “CoSIDA Corner” column that is published in each issue of NACDA’s Athletics Administration Magazine
. The next CoSIDA Corner will appear in the August ssue and will be posted on CoSIDA.com when available.
The NACDA magazine, which is published in October, November, December, February, March, April, June and August, is sent to more than 10,000 university and athletics administrators. That, combined with the exposure that CoSIDA receives via NACDA’s daily email blast, provides CoSIDA incredible exposure, something that was not the case prior to CoSIDA’s partnership agreement with NACDA that was agreed to in Dec. of 2008.
Will Roleson, CoSIDA’s Director of Internal Operations
, was invited to the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference meetings on July 4 in Sylvania, Ohio, and made a presentation to the conference’s SIDs at the request of Commissioner Rob Miller. Roleson then attended the ECAC-SIDA Workshop
July 4-6 in Pittsburgh where he spoke on behalf of CoSIDA at a town hall meeting and also met with the organization’s Board of Directors.
• Tom Eiser (Xavier), Chair of 1-AAA Management Advisory Committee,
and that Board held a conference call on June 29th with Ken Kavanaugh- President of 1-AAA Athletic Directors Association. In June, Eiser also coordinated a survey of that group’s leadership relative to attendance at 2011 and 2012 CoSIDA conventions; the survey also asked what number of athletic staffers those schools normally sent to the NACDA Convention.
• D3SIDA’s leadership team of Ira Thor (New Jersey City University), Blake Timm (Pacific-Ore.)
and Larry Happel (Central College)
sent out in early June an extensive survey to DIII membership regarding various topics.
• During the St. Louis Convention the following divisional/advocacy Boards met with Cryder Rinebold to discuss the strategic analysis that company is doing on behalf of CoSIDA: DII SIDA, D3 SIDA, NAIA-SIDA, FBS Management Advisory Committee, FCS MAC, 1-AAA MAC, CIS (Canadian InterUniversity Sports), BCSIDA and FAME.
• On June 20, John Humenik and Barb Kowal
forwarded along the latest monthly edition of “Communications Watch for Today’s AD” to Dutch Baughman, Executive Director of Division 1-A Athletic Directors Association
. Since October of 2010 this e-newsletter, adapted from CoSIDA’s weekly “Communications Watch” for our membership, has been put together specifically for AD’s to stay abreast of topics regarding strategic communications, crisis planning and communications, trends, surveys so that today’s AD’s can better stay abreast of the many communications based issues and challenges facing collegiate athletics.
• In July and August, updated information on the following will be updated: Academic All-America master schedule for nomination deadlines/team announcements, the AAA Committee list of chairs, vice-chairs and district representatives and the district nominating/voting maps for all four divisions.
• Check CoSIDA.com for the latest Capital One Academic All-District and Academic All-America® information. We remind everyone that you must be a member of CoSIDA to nominate your deserving student-athletes and vote on the Academic All-District ballots.
If you have questions regarding the nomination criteria for the AAA program, or other questions relating to the awards program, please click HERE and closely review the information page and FAQ document on the CoSIDA website which we believe will address your question.
• The Board and Academic All-America® Committee leadership remind CoSIDA members that CoSIDA's "Academic All-America®"mark is federally registered. As such, CoSIDA members must help the Board and AAA Committee monitor the wrongful use of this registered trademark. If you see any other organizations, including coaching associations, using this registered trademark, immediately contact CoSIDA Executive Director John Humenik (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Academic All-America Committee member Dick Lipe (email@example.com). We will have our legal counsel, Collegiate Images, follow up with a letter regarding infringement of our federally registered mark and they will be asked to "cease and desist" from future use of that mark.
Many times during the year we find that our own membership is using "Academic All-America®" in releases that they prepare for student-athletes receiving academic achievement awards from other organizations - when in fact those organizations refer to their awards as "All-Academic," "Scholar-Athlete," "Academic All-Star," etc. We remind CoSIDA members to be cognizant of only using "Academic All-America®" in relation to CoSIDA's Capital One partnership program. There are NO exceptions and you should make sure your administrative staff and coaches understand that they do not have the right to take another award that is being presented for combined academic/athletic excellence by coach’s associations or other organizations and change it to “Academic All-America®” instead of its appropriate title given by that awarding organization.
During the month of June, 18 CoSIDA-based stories appeared on NACDA’s Daily Review email blast. There were 18 Daily Review emails during the month. Through the Daily Review email, thousands of university and athletics administrators are exposed to professional and organizational news. This outreach primarily came about due to CoSIDA’s decision in December 2008 to become an affiliated partner within the NACDA organizational umbrella.
Also in June, three CoSIDA-based features/stories were featured on NCAA.com websites and circulated on the NCAA Daily News Direct email blast.
In June, 35 articles were posted on CoSIDA.com
. The CoSIDA Twitter page
had 300 tweets/postings, all of them of an informative nature with breaking news and timely topics for athletic communication professionals. The #cosida12 Convention hashtag had hundreds more postings.
The CoSIDA LinkedIn group
continues to attract members and the group now totals 1,350+ members and is actively holding discussions, soliciting final convention panelists and sharing articles and videos of interest to athletic communicators.
CoSIDA’s fund raising organizational team for the 2012 convention and 2012-13 academic year raised a CoSIDA-record $545,000+ for the upcoming fiscal year. Since CoSIDA brought an Executive Director onboard in March of 2008, organizational fund-raising/sponsorships have grown by nearly 160 percent and sponsorship monies, not including the Academic All-America® sponsorship rights fee.
You can access that sponsorship directory HERE
(click link under the top set of sponsor logos).
By level of support, here is the complete sponsor list:
Platinum Plus Sponsors:
Capital One (Byron Daub) and NCAA (Bob Williams, Erik Christianson, Mike Racy and Dan Dutcher)
SIDEARM Sports (Jeff Rubin)
Diamond Level Sponsors:
ESPN (Josh Krulewitz, Rachel Margolis), ASAP Sports (Jeri Gargano), TextCaster (Rob Sweeney and Mike Sadler)
Gold Level Sponsor:
NewTek (Philip Nelson/Steven Paulsen)
Silver Level Sponsors:
NFL (Greg Aiello and Corry Rush), Stat Crew (Rob Schupler/ Monica Pellman), TRZ Sports (Tom Zawistowski and Josh Mathus)
Bronze Level Sponsors:
Orange Bowl (Eric Poms/Larry Wahl), Rose Bowl Game (Gina Chappin), Fiesta Bowl (Andy Bagnato), Sugar Bowl, (John Sudsbury), Heisman Trophy (Rob Whalen and Tim Henning), Turner Sports (Sal Petruzzi), FOX Sports Networks (Chris Hannan/ Chris Bellitti)
$3500 Sponsor Level:
XOS Digital (Chris Kesicke/Gregg Brandon), Populous (Jeanette Johnson), Sports Systems (Brian Binette)
$1750 Sponsor Level:
Provations Group (Jai Giffin), Jostens/MTM Recognition (Cory Beltz)
$1000 Sponsor Level:
NCAA Football (Bret Krift), Football Bowl Association (Charlie Fiss), Football Writers Association of America (Steve Richardson), Lott Trophy (Pete Donovan), BFish Inc. (Tim Simmons), Front Row Marketing (Chris Lencheski), Wuerffel Trophy (John Watts), PlayUp (Dennis Lee), USA Basketball (Craig Miller)
$750 Sponsor Level:
Big 12 Conference (Bob Burda), AFCA (Grant Teaff /Vince Thompson), National Football Foundation (Steve Hatchell/Matt Sign)
$500 Sponsor Level:
SEC (Charles Bloom), Big Ten Conference (Diane Dietz), Colonial Athletic Association (Tom Yeager), Missouri Valley Conference (Doug Elgin), College Press Box.com (Ted Gangi), Alamo Bowl (Rick Hill), Awards Recognition Association (Dave Bergeson), Licensing Resource Group (Lewis Hardy), ACC (Michael Kelley), Horizon League (Bill Benner), Paul Hornung Award (Karl Schmitt), USBWA (Joe Mitch), Big East Conference (John Paquette), Cotton Bowl (Charlie Fiss), Big Ten Network (Elizabeth Conlisk), Sporting News (Laura Dantzler), Pac-12 Conference (Dave Hirsch) and Lindy’s Sports Publications (Lindy Davis), Conference USA (Courtney Morrison-Archer), National Fastpitch Coaches Association (Lacy Lee Baker), National Basketball Coaches Association (Jim Haney/Rick Leddy), American Baseball Coaches Association (Dave Keiltz), Women's Basketball Coaches Association (Beth Bass/Jack Watford).
The following companies/sponsors have CoSIDA "official provider" recognition for the balance of the 2012-13 academic year.
Capital One - Entitlement rights holder for CoSIDA's Academic All-America® program
SIDEARM - Official provider of CoSIDA's website (including Academic All-America® online nomination and selection system, Career Center, Online Directory, awards and online membership systems)
ASAP Sports - CoSIDA's official instant transcripts provider
TextCaster - CoSIDA's official and exclusive text messaging services provider and partner
NewTek - CoSIDA's official continuing education video production provider
TRZ Sports/Teamline - CoSIDA's official teleconference call provider
Sports Systems - CoSIDA's official online convention registration provider
Populous - CoSIDA's official convention registration badge printer and provider
XOS Digital - CoSIDA's official legal services provider for the Academic All-America® program
• Access the updated calendar of events/deadlines for the July 1 - August 31 period HERE
. We encourage all members to review this closely so you are aware of important dates and deadlines.